Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A very important decision: Dieting Isn't For Me



You all know how I am- fun, happy, terribly attractive *cocky hair flip*. But in all seriousness, I am generally pretty confident in myself. And yet, probably from a combination of being a teenage girl and negative whispers in my ears, I have a tendency to get down on myself. I am very analytical (lots of people think I just judge everyone.. Sorry if I give that impression) but just as much as a judge others, I judge myself tenfold. And guess where I can find the most ammo? You guessed it! My physical appearance.
Now I'm not saying it is unnatural or wrong to be aware of how you look and appear. I find it a useful tool to express yourself and present yourself according to what you are trying to say. What I have a problem with is what I call 'self-dieting' or dieting because you are self conscious of how you look. Let me explain my experience.

I have always been self concious of my appearance. I was very skinny and athletic until about 11 years old, where from the beginning of the summer to the end, I had grown a few pants sizes. now it wasn't because of bad eating habits (though I do NOT claim to have good ones). It was puberty kicking in. All of a sudden- I had hips! I wasn't as flexible, I didn't have as much energy, and I was constantly begging for new clothes because I had grown out of the ones I got the month before. This is a pretty common story. Almost every girl has to deal with something like this- but I didn't know that. I felt very alone and scared with this new adaptation.
Throughout the years I have gotten a handle of things. I now understand the natural process of things like this. And yet.

As you get older, the push to diet and eat strictly healthy is almost deffining. You see the women with perfect 6-day exercise routines, strictly meager meals, and flat bellies. This is who you need to be, they say. Put down that icecream cone- don't you dare pick up those fries! We've got some apples, green paste and a few chia seeds to stuff down your throat instead!

So, I tried my best. I would turn down all treats, drink smoothies and eat carrots, and feel completely miserable. I would spend most days so overwhelmed by how bad my habits were and trying so hard to fix them, that I would end the day with a ball of cookie dough and a bad attitude. This is when I realized that dieting wasn't for me.

I do not criticise those who DO eat strictly healthy. I applaud you, actually. You are doing a great thing for yourself and if you feel that is what you need, don't let me say you're wrong. What I don't like is the constant pressure from society saying you have to be a pro-dieter or you aren't trying hard enough, you aren't healthy, you aren't taking care of yourself and you aren't beautiful. The fact that everyone is built differently doesn't even show up in the equation!

Everyone is different. Some flourish in the diet setting- I am not one of those people.

My solution: Be healthy.

I have decided today. I will enjoy food. It is worth being enjoyed, isn't it? But I will be aware of what I am putting in and make sure I am getting the nutrients I need. I will not exercise- but I WILL do something active that I love. A few of my favorites are dance, ice skate, and swim. I will be more aware of when I eat, so as to avoid storing unnecessary calories.

Basically, I will be happy.

I will be posting good, healthy recipes as much as I can on this blog, to help further the cause of healthy, happy living. Because- well- you are worth it. :)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I totally agree with you. Did you know that if you eat healthy fats it makes it even better? It's super indulgent and you don't crave sugar as much. You feel lots more grounded and nourished, and like you're eating real food. So eat sour cream, butter, bacon and other traditional animal fats. Yes, I had to say this because it's what I know and do. You should look into it :) it is SO helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I didn't know that. Way smart!

    ReplyDelete