Tuesday, November 27, 2012

C.S. Lewis

There is just something about C.S. Lewis that I love. Of course the fact that all his writings are from a Christian point of view, but also I think it is his writing style. He is able to take big, complicated and often overwhelming things and state them clearly and bluntly. This really relates with me because that is how I think. Everything has to have a meaning, a point. It all has be explained clearly so there is no room for doubt. My mind usually longs for proof and evidence for everything. C.S. Lewis has a way of satisfying those things when I read his books. 

Right now I am reading Mere Christianity. One word: AMAZING. I highly suggest reading it. I can't really explain the entire book, but it has basically (so far) talked about how Christianity is the only logical explanation of moral standings and such, using plain logic and natural facts that we all agree on. I particularly like it because I have always been secretly looking for logical proof that Christianity is the way to go. I mean, I of course believe in Christ and what He has done for all of humanity, but there was always a tiny little nagging at the back of my mind searching for more solid proof- and here it is!

One of my favorite quotes:

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse."
                                                                             - Mere Christianity, pg. 52


(I also suggest The Screwtape Letters

2 comments:

  1. You really should read his essay On Three Ways of Writing for Children. Just google it, it's online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really cool- I'll have to do that when I have some free time.

    ReplyDelete